Biochemistry is the study of the chemical and molecular basis of life, seeking to describe and understand the structure, function and organization of living matter in molecular terms. This area of study also aims to understand vital biological processes in health and disease.
The Honours Biochemistry program will train you in a truly cross-disciplinary atmosphere while gaining deep insights through inquiry-based learning.
Enrollment in this program is limited.
Admission is by selection but requires, as a minimum, completion of any Level 1 program with a Grade Point Average of at least 5.0 including:
- BIOLOGY 1A03 and 1M03 with a grade of at least 6.0 (C+) in each
- CHEM 1A03 and 1AA3 with a grade of at least 6.0 (C+) in each
- 1 course from MATH 1A03 or 1LS3 with a grade of at least 6.0 (C+)
- 1 course from PHYSICS 1A03 or 1C03
- 2 courses from the Science 1 Course List
Typical Second-Year Courses
Nucleic Acid Structure
Protein Structure and Enzyme Function
BIOCHEM 2L06 A/B
Inquiry in Biochemical Techniques
Organic Chemistry 1
Organic Chemistry 2